THe Home Stretch
We are so grateful to our community for engaging in theatre at the Omaha Community Playhouse during this pandemic—however different it may have looked.
We hope you will stick with us through one more wave of changes. All signs indicate we are in the home stretch of the COVID-19 pandemic. As a theatre, we could not be more excited to get back to “business as usual.” But we still need to safely navigate these upcoming months.
We have made changes to our 2021 spring programming that will allow us to continue offering live theatre to our community while mitigating risk. We pushed the opening of our 2021 productions to the end of February, to allow more time for public health to improve. We have also replaced large-cast productions with small-cast shows to better protect our actors, crew and audience and to allow for ample social distancing during rehearsals and performances. These decisions were made after consulting with local health department officials and medical experts.
We are confident that these programming changes, combined with our enhanced safety precautions, will allow us to continue bringing our art to the Omaha community in the safest way possible. We appreciate your ongoing support and can’t wait to see you again in the spring!
Our lineup for the remainder of the 2020/21 season looks like this:
The Last Five Years
Written and Composed by Jason Robert Brown | Directed by Susan Baer Collins
February 26 – March 21, 2021 | Hawks Mainstage Theatre
Subscriber Presale Jan. 5 | Public On Sale Jan. 12
By Becky Mode | Directed by Jim McKain
March 19 – April 11, 2021 | Howard Drew Theatre
Subscriber Presale Jan. 26 | Public On Sale Feb. 2
The Drawer Boy
By Michael Healey | Directed by Anthony Clark-Kaczmarek
April 9 – May 2, 2021 | Hawks Mainstage Theatre
Subscriber Presale Feb. 16 | Public On Sale Feb. 23
By Nick Payne | Director TBA
April 30 – May 23, 2021 | Howard Drew Theatre
Subscriber Presale March 16 | Public On Sale March 23
Music by Thomas “Fats” Waller | Conceived by Richard Maltby, Jr. and Murray Horwitz | Directed by Kathy Tyree
May 21 – June 20, 2021 | Hawks Mainstage Theatre
Subscriber Presale March 30 | Public On Sale April 6
The Candy Project Presents: Gutenberg! The Musical*
By Anthony King and Scott Brown | Directed by Kaitlyn McClincy
June 4 – 27, 2021 | Howard Drew Theatre
Subscriber Presale March 2 | Public On Sale March 9
*Special Event—Not part of the regular season series.
We reimagined our performance spaces.
- Patrons attending a show in either theatre will be socially distanced from other guests with all groups at least 6 feet apart.
- In the Howard Drew theatre, a plexiglass barrier will be installed around the perimeter of the stage to provide separation between guests and performers.
- Productions will not incorporate any physical audience participation.
We reimagined our safety precautions.
OCP will continue to evaluate our processes and procedures to ensure we are constantly creating the safest environment possible for our patrons, artists, volunteers and staff. For the most up-to-date information, please continue to check back on this page.
- All audience, staff and volunteers will be required to wear masks. Masks will be available free of charge and must be worn properly in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- Audience members will be required to self-screen for a fever and symptoms of illness prior to arriving at OCP. Those with fever or other symptoms may exchange their ticket at no cost.
- New dismissal procedures will help encourage social distancing, including row-by-row dismissal after a show.
- Lobbies, reception areas and lines will be arranged and marked to encourage social distancing.
- Plexiglass barriers will be installed in the box office windows with cash-free payments encouraged, touchless credit card transactions offered and touch-free ticket pickup available.
- Common areas and performance halls will be cleaned and sanitized on a daily basis with both cleanser and electrostatic technology.
- All restrooms will be outfitted with touchless fixtures and will be sanitized daily and throughout performances.
- We will no longer hold post-show meet and greets with the actors in the lobby.
- Concessions and drinks will not be available and public water fountains will be closed.
- For a full list of safety precautions, please click here.
The Omaha Community Playhouse has served our community for nearly 100 years. We are confident that with a little (re)imagination, the art will always live on. We hope you enjoy our reimagined 2020/21 season, and we can’t wait to have you back at OCP!
Information for Subscribers:
- Subscribers may select any regular season production from the new lineup above to replace any canceled productions from their original subscription package.
- To select a new show for your package, call the OCP Box Office during the Subscriber Presale to reserve tickets to the new show of your choice.
- New Subscriber Presale dates for all shows will be announced on a rolling basis throughout the season via email and the OCP website.
- For additional information, please contact the OCP Box Office by phone at (402) 553-0800.
With our newly-reimagined season and the comprehensive safety measures put in place to make it happen, monetary donations are needed more than ever to help us keep the art alive—on our stages, in our parking lot, and streaming online.
Please consider making a contribution to OCP. Your gift is an investment in our future together. To donate, please click here.